Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Primal Desires by Susan Sizemore

The BLURB:
In Las Vegas, Jason Cage is known as "The Beast Master." But his onstage feats of magic are nothing compared to the abilities he keeps hidden from human eyes. Jason is Prime of his vampire family, and once used his telepathic skills to tame wild werewolves. It's a talent that leads him to beautiful, sensual Sofia Hunyara, who instantly triggers all of Jason's primal urges. Sofia is destined to be his bondmate, but keeping her alive long enough to convince her of that fact will not be easy.

Sofia has no reason to trust Jason, or to believe his story about her family's secret history as Wolf Tamers. The only thing she's sure of is an overwhelming attraction that quickly develops into a scorching affair. If Jason's claims are true, can Sofia embrace her legacy -- when it means walking away from a soul-searing desire that's deeper than any she's ever known?


My Thoughts:
Ok, so I've never been a big Sizemore fan - her books just don't have the oomph and sizzle, IMO. But I'm so desperate for reading material that I keep thinking each new book will be better. I just don't enjoy them. Not a single one has made it to my keeper shelf. So I've got to face the fact that this author is just not for me and stop buying her books.

HOWEVER, I will say that I think Sizemore fans will enjoy this most recent addition to her vampire series. I really liked the hero. He was tender yet strong. He also wasn't overly arrogant but still had enough Prime personality to be sexy. He also treats the heroine way better than the heroes of her last few books IMO - he really adores her. The heroine wasn't bad, I wasn't particularly impressed with her though.

*****MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD******
The plot was a bit weak in places though. For instance, one 'conflict' element was the fact that the heroine was fated to be a Wolf Tamer. Super.... how interesting and this causes conflict how exactly? Well, supposedly he may have to let her go so that she can fulfill that duty. And I kept wondering why? He's not Clan, he's from the Families. Different rules. Plus he travels as a performer - it's not like his job or position is so important that they can't work it out. I just didn't get it. And it was not fully explained or resolved that I saw. It was just mentioned in passing a few times then the epilogue has a reference to how it was resolved but it wasn't a good resolution IMO. She basically doesn't become the Wolf Tamer and instead is the 'Beautiful Assistant' in Jason Cage's act. 'Cause we all know that is SO much more important and fulfilling than, oh.... helping the world. Whatever. There were a lot of elements like this that were thrown into the plot but not fully developed. And some very weird things too, like a vamp female who wants the hero to be a sperm donor and approaches the HEROINE with the request. The hero has already said no to the vamp once but the heroine tries to convince him to do it! Luckily, Cage says NO WAY... ALL of me belongs to you even though there would be no sex involved - I thought that was romantic.

Still, the premise and storyline of a Vampire Prime finding the Wolf Tamer to train her only to find that she is his mate was good. The training and the emergence of her powers was ok if a little vague. The rest of it... just blah to me -underdeveloped - but I liked it better than Primal Heat.

Did anyone else read this? I'd love some opinions on it!

No comments: