Saturday, January 5, 2008

Shadow Music by Julie Garwood

Shadow Music by Julie Garwood

I am a rabid Garwood fan and unlike so many others, I love both her historical AND her contemporaries. I have NEVER been disappointed by a Garwood book until the previous one -Shadow Dance - which I thought was just a little flat for such a spicy character as Noah Claybourne but I still enjoyed.

Despite the fact that the feedback about Shadow Music has been mostly negative, I was ready for another "Garwood Experience." Sadly, this book is more like a false store-front version masquerading as a Julie Garwood novel. It all just felt superficial - no real depth to the characters, the romance, or the plot.

I'm not going to go on and on because what I have to say it much like what is being said everywhere else but if you want a more in-depth review I recommend checking out the ones on Book Binge or Dear Author. I'm just too disappointed to put any effort into it right now.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so with you, babe. It SOOO wasn't worth the $9.95 I spent.

Ange - The Romance Groupie said...

I know! *sad face* It's a bummer.

I'm not giving up on JG yet! *keeping my fingers crossed for the next one*

Holly said...

You're much more loyal than I am. I'm not sure I want to continue reading her. I think her writing (not the stories, but the writing itself) has really deteriorated in the last few years. If you notice, her sentences are choppy, she's all over the place, her storylines jump from one place to another. It's sad.

Ange - The Romance Groupie said...

Actually, I've noticed that many of the popular authors appear to be going down in the quality department. I'm wondering if it's the editors, publishers, etc. that are ruining it. It just seems strange that so many great authors have gone bad in the last year or so. Is it just me? Are you seeing this trend too?

Holly said...

I hadn't really thought about it until you said so, but yes, I'm seeing a trend, too. I can think of 3 off the top of my head: JG, Linda Howard and Judith McNaught. Although JM fixed whatever was broken in her paperback release of Every Breath You Take, the HC was ridiculous. I'm almost afraid to read her new release (if) when it comes out.

murjane said...

Where is the REAL Julie Garwood???
This CANNOT be my all time favorite romance author! Shadow Music is truly just a "shadow" of her previous work - not at all up to par for the humor and depth of character shown in her previous historic romances.
Please return her to us!!!!